Mary Ann McLelllan
F, b. 11 February 1843, d. 23 August 1937
Mary Ann was born on Saturday, 11 February 1843 in Quebec, Canada. She was the daughter of James & Susan McLelan. Mary Ann married Thomas Bethel Colton Jr, son of Thomas Bethel Colton and Eliza Chester, on 18 October 1863 in Trafalgar Township, Halton County, Ontario, Canada.1 Thomas & Mary had one child: Bertha Eliza [1/21/1864-5/25/1926][m. 6/10/1886 Alfred Baker][buried Hamilton Cemetery].2 Mary's husband, Thomas, died on 3 January 1871 in the Village of Bronte, Trafalgar Township leaving her a widow. 1871, Mary was listed on the Canadian Census at Trafalgar Township, Halton County, Ontario, Canada. Enumerated in this household were Mary Colton [27 Quebec], Eliza [7 Ontario]. They are residing with William Riddle [30 Ontario], Eliza [29 Quebec], Charles [5 Ontario], Alfred [3 Ontario] & Thomas Peterson [19 Ontario]. In 1901, Mary was listed on the Canadian Census in the home of her daughter at Hamilton, Wentworth County, Ontario, Canada. Enumberated in the household were Albert E Baker [39 England - 11 June 1859], his wife: Bertha L. [36 Ontario - 31 January 1864], their children: Mirtle [13 Ontario - 23 September 1887], Gordon [5 Ontario - 1 August 1895], & his mother-in-law: Mary Colton [56 Ontario - 11 February 1845]. Albert is a jewler. He immigrated in 1869. District Hamilton City, Sub-District Ward 1, Family Number 29, page 3.3 In 1911, Mary was listed on the Canadian Census in the home of her daughter at Hamilton. Enumberated in the household were Alfred Baker [ 49 England - June 1861], Bertha [47 Ontario - January 1864], Myrtle [23 Ontario - September 1887], Alfred [17 Ontario - August 1895] & mother-in-law: Mary A. Colton [68 Quebec - Febuary 1843]. Alfred is a jeweler and Myrtle is a Stenographer in a law office.4 In 1921, Mary was listed on the Canadian Census in the home of her daughter at Hamilton. Enumberated in the household were Albert E. Baker [60 England], Bertha [52 Ontario], Albert Gordon [25 Ontario], Myrtle [33 Ontario] & mother-in-law: Mary Colton [78 Quebec].5 Mary departed this life on Monday, 23 August 1937 in Hamilton at age 94 years, 6 months and 12 days.6 She was buried at Oakville in St. Jude's Church Cemetery. Cemetery records stated she was age 90 years of Hamilton. She was buried in lot 4.
|Thomas Bethel Colton Jr b. c 30 Nov 1839, d. 3 Jan 1871|
- [S2065] Ontario, Canada, County Marriage Register, 1826-1938: 18 October 1863: Thomas Colton, 24 years, England, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Colton and M. A. McLellan,20 years, Canada; residence: Hamilton; daughter of James and Susan McLellan.
- [S953] Find a grave: Coutesy of Loraine Ertelt - www.findagrave.com.
- [S1939] 1901 Canadian Census: East Hamilton, Ontario District Hamilton City, Sub-District Ward 1, Family Number 29, page 3 -.
- [S1941] 1911 Canadian Census: East Hamilton, Ontario District 77, Enumweration District 4, Page 2, Line 40.
- [S1940] 1921 Canadian Census: East Hamilton, Ontario District 87, Sub-District 2, Page 15, Line 31.
- [S566] Ontario, Canada Death and Death Overseas Records, 1869-1948: Mary Ann Colton - Died: 23 August 1937 at 108 St. Clair Ave., Hamilton, Wentworth County, Ontario; Age: About 70 years; cause: Senility without senila dementia; Burial: 25 August in Oakville. Born 10 February ____. Informant: Granddaughter Mrs. I.J. Blough - Ancestry.com.