M, b. 1708, d. 20 July 1777
|Father||Edmund Wright II b. 1670, d. Oct 1733|
|Mother||Sarah Townsend b. c 1685, d. a 1746/47|
Jotham was born in 1708 in the Town of Oyster Bay, Queens County, Long Island, New York. Jotham married Tabiatha Sammis, daughter of David Sammis [Samwayas] and Sarah (?), on 27 May 1745 in Huntington, Suffolk County, Long Island, New York, at the First Church. Jotham & Tabiatha removed from Oyster Bay to Rye, New York in 1747 where they bought a house & land on the road leading to Harrison's Purchase. He sold this property with other lands in 1763. In 1768, his brother, Thomas released to him all of his rights to the messnage of twenty acres of land, which Jotham had bought of Timothy Wetmore. As early as 1771, he bought an old "square house" which was built before 1731. He kept this as an Inn called "Wrights" until near the close of the Revolution. With the dangers of the war, Jotham & his family removed to New York City for safety. It is not known whether this move was voluntarily or by force. The family remained there. Jotham & Tabiatha both died in a smallpox epidemic in 1777. It is not known who cared for their children after their death. Jotham was oted as being a Joyner. The family was Episcopal. Jotham was named after his uncle Jotham Townsend. Jotham died on Sunday, 20 July 1777 in the City, County & State of New York, from smallpox. He was buried in the yard of the old St. Paul's Church in the City, County & State of New York. The church was located at Broadway and Fulton Street.
|Tabiatha Sammis b. c 1723, d. 6 Aug 1777|
- [S106] Howland Delano Perrine, The Wright Family of Oysterbay, L.I. with the ancestry of and descent from Peter Wright and Nicholas Wright, 1423-1923, pages 154-156 - no. 477 JOTHAM WRIGHT (EDMUND no. 465), b 1708; d. July 20, 1777, m. Tabiatha Sammis, of Huntington, L. I., May 27, 1745; b. 1714; d. Aug. 6, 1777. Issue: no.+491 Jotham; no. 492 Sarah, b. Feby., 1754; d. May 17, 1784; m. Joseph Latham, of New York City. (N. Y. Co. Surrogate's Court. Liber 28 of Wills, p. 170.) Issue: Gideon; no.+493 Samuel, b. Aug. 27, 1761; d. July 5, 1806; . no.+494 Augustus, b. May 8, 1765 ; d. March. 28. 1819; Jotham Wright, born at Oyster Bay, and received his Christian name from Jotham Townsend, of that place. In 1739, a ferry was established between Oyster Bay. and the town of Rye, in Westchester Co.. N. Y.. and intercourse between the two sections became quite large. At this time, in and about Rye, there were extensive settlements of Quakers, from Oyster Bay, Flushing. and other points on Long Island. About 1747, Jotham Wright removed to Rye. where he remained until shortly before his death.
"Jotham Wright, joiner, in 1747, bought a house and land on the road leading up Harrison's Purchase, near the house lately (1871.) of Allen Carpenter. This, with other land, he sold in 1763, and, about the same time, bought the place now owned by the daughters of David H. Mead. Here, as early as 1771, be kept a stage house, which was known as "Wrights", until near the close of the Revolution". (Gain's New York Pocket Almanac. 1771-1782.) In 1768, Thomas Wright (479.), a physician of East Chester, released to 'Jotharn Wright, ship joyner, of Rye', all his rights to the messnage of twenty acres of land, which Jotham Wright had bought of Timothy Wetmore. -
Reuben Wright, Keziah Wright (478), and Tabiatha Wright (477.) signed papers as witnesses between 1763 and 1769 (Liber 2 of Deeds, Westchester Co. p. 351; list. of Rye, N. Y. Baird. p. 450.)
In speaking of the old square house, on the Rye post road, otherwise known as "Haviland's," or the Penfield house, Baird says:
"During the War one Jotham Wright kept this Inn. It appears to have reverted, after the War, to Mrs. Tamar Haviland. This so called old 'Square House', 'Haviland's', and 'Pentield's house, was built before 1731, and continued to be used as a Hotel until about 1830, when. in 1835, it was sold by the heirs to David H. Mead." (Hist. of Rye, N. Y., Baird, pp. 145, 147, 148.)
The ferry between Oyster Bay and Rye was maintained until about 1810. (Ibid., pp. 78. 79, 489.)
"At a meeting of the Vestry of this parish (Grace. now Christ Church, of Rye) held on the 24th day of .August, 1765, Mr. (Peter) Jay presented to the Church Warden's & Vestrymen a letter from the Honorable Society &e. Upon reading the letter the Vestry adjourned to meet at the house of Jotham Wright, on the 27th inst., at 2 o'clock, in the afternoon." (Hilt of Prot. Episcopal Church in Westchester Co., N. Y. Bolton. 1855, p. 314.)
It was the almost universal custom in these times, both in New England, New York, and other states, that Inns or Taverns were kept by the most respectable citizens of the place, and were so kept very often by men who had large farms, and houses, and who possessed the means of providing ample accommodations for both man and beast. They were also at times kept by widows. The public houses were not then of course of the same character as later, and were usually located at the intersection of main highways, or post roads, and were the center of local life, and places of public assembly.
After the breaking out of the War of the Revolution, and while the British held possession of New York, and Westchester counties, residence in the latter county became quite dangerous by reason of the activities of the tories and marauding bands, and many of the inhabitants were forced to remove to New York City for safety, and some were forcibly sent into the city by the British. Jotham Wright and his family, were among those who reached the city, but whether voluntarily or by force is not recorded, and remained there until his death from smallpox (epidemic in 1777), which disease also carried off his wife. Jotham Wright was buried in the yard of old St. Paul's Church, at Broadway and Fulton Street ; and Tabiatha Wright in the yard of old Trinity Church, on Broadway. The burial records of Trinity Parish, covering this period, were taken to England by the then Rector, when the British evacuated the city.
- [S116] Moses Lewis Scudder, Records of the First Church of Huntington, New York, page 79.