M, b. circa 1555
|Father||Thomas Almey b. c 1530|
|Mother||Joanne Wale b. c 1537, d. b 31 Oct 1604|
Thomas was born circa 1555 in Dunton Basset, Leicestershire, England. Thomas married Agnes Andrew in England. She was 1st married to John Dowper.1 Thomas's wife, Agnes, died, leaving him a widower. Thomas married 2nd Alice Marsh in England.1 Thomas entered the Almey Pedigree into the Visitation of Northamptonshire of 1618.2
- [S462] George Walter Chamberlain, The English Ancestry of William Almy of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, pages 314-319.
- [S462] George Walter Chamberlain, The English Ancestry of William Almy of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, pages 319-321 - Pedigree of the Almey Family
1. JOHN ALMEY, of Dunton-Bassett,t co. Leicester, lived probably about the middle of the sixteenth century. He married _____ REIGNOLDS.
2. i. THOMAS.
2. THOMAS ALMEY (John), of Dunton-Bassett, co. Leicester, was born probably about 1550. He married JOAN WALE, who was buried at Dunton-Bassett 31 Oct. 1604, daughter of Thomas of Dunton-Bassett.
3. i. THOMAS.
4. ii. WILLIAM.
5. iii. JOHN.
6. iv. CHRISTOPHER.
3. THOMAS ALMEY (Thomas, John), of Badby, co. Northampton, was living in 1618, when, apparently, he entered the Almey pedigree in the Visitation of Northamptonshire. He married first AGNES (ANDREW) COWPER, daughter of Nicholas Andrew (who was brother of Thomas Andrew) and widow of John Cowper; and secondly ALICE MARSH, daughter of Lawrence of Northampton.
Children by first wife:
i. ANDREW, of London, living in 1618.
iii. GEORGE, d.s.p. not later than 1618.
iv. TOBIAS, of London, m. DORCAS Bassano dau. of Edward.
Children by second wife:
4. WILLIAM ALMEY (Thomas, John), of Bitteswell,* co. Leicester, yeoman, the testator of 1628/9, born about 1556, married ____________
i. ANDREW, of Bitteswell, co. Leicester, living in 1646, when he was appointed overseer of his brother William's will; m., by licence of 1630, ANNE PHRONE of Ashby Magna, co. Leicester. He was executor of his father's will in 1629, and took the Oath of Protestation in the parish of Bitteswell 12 Sept. 1641. Child: 1. William, living in 1646, when he is mentioned in the will of his uncle, William Almey.
ii. WILLIAM, of Bitteswell, co. Leicester, yeoman, the testator of 1646, d. not earlier than 24 July 1646; in. at Bitteswell, 1 Nov. 1620, JANE DOWSE, who d. before her husband, dau. of John. As "William Allmye, senere," he took the Oath of Protestation in the parish of Bitteswell 19 Sept. 1641. Children: 1. William, appointed executor of his father's will in 1646; "William as Almey, juniour," he took the Oath of Protestation in the parish of Bitteswell 19 Sept. 1641. 2. John, under twenty-one in 1646. 3. Elisha, of Bitteswell, under eighteen in 1646; in. at Bitteswell, 29 Apr. 1660, Alice Wikeman of Bitteswell.
5. JOHN ALMEY (Thomas, John), of Lutterworth, co. Leicester, died prior to 23 Sept. 1636, when administration on his estate was granted to his widow, Anna Almey. He married first, at Leire,t co. Leicester, 20 June 1592, FRANCES SMYTH of
Leire; and secondly ANNA , who survived him.
Child (by which wife is unknown):
i. JoHN, living in 1618.
6.CHRISTOPHER ALMEY (Thomas, John), of South Kilworth co. Leicester, gentleman, the testator of 2 Oct. 1624, was buried at South Kilworth 4 Oct. 1624. He married first
CLARKE, daughter of ______ Clarke of Lutterworth, co. Leicester; and secondly, by licence of 1606, Amen or AMIE GREENE, widow, of Hurley, co. Warwick, who was buried at South Kilworth 5 Mar. 1622/3. In her will, dated 10 Apr. 1621, and proved 18 May 1626 by her son Henry Greene, executor, she mentions her son Henry Greene (with his son William Greene), her daughter Frances Greene, her [married] daughter Kedson or Kidson (with her husband and her child, Cary Kidson, then under eighteen), and her [married] daughter Dickers with her husband and three sons). The will of Christopher Almey is of great importance in the history of the family (vide supra, p. 314).
Children by first wife:
i. WILLIAM, only son, b. probably at Dunton-Bassett or South Kilworth, co. Leicester, abt. 1600.
ii. JOAN, living 2 Oct. 1624; tn., by licence of 1618 (in which she is called KATHARINE), JoHN PADLE of Ashby Parva, co. Leicester, yeoman, living 2 Oct. 1624. Children, all under fifteen on 2 Oct. 1624: 1. William. 2. Christopher. 3. Richard
iii. Mary, living unm. 2 Oct. 1624; perhaps the Mary Almy who m. at Ashby Parva, co. Leicester, 30 Oct. 1627, Samuel Jephcote.