Martin Badgley Townsend1
M, b. 6 January 1836, d. 24 April 1883
|Father||Samuel Townsend b. 20 May 1799, d. 16 Oct 1873|
|Mother||Asenath Badgley b. 12 Nov 1798, d. 24 Oct 1880|
Martin Badgley was born on Wednesday, 6 January 1836 in West Somerset, Niagara County, New York. Martin married Emily Melissa Stocking on 8 December 1858 in Unadilla Township, Livingston County, Michigan. 4 June 1860, the U.S. Federal Census listed Martin, living in the home of his parents. Enumerated in this household were Samuel Townsend [61 New York], his wife: Asemath [61 New York], children: Lydia [28 New York], Martin B. [24 New York], Robert J. [22 Michigan], Martin's wife, Melissa [22 Michigan], granddaughter, Flora [9/12 Michigan], Maria Barber [12 Michigan], & Samuel Crafts [6 Michigan]. His property was valued at $5,000 and his personal property at $1,000.2 Martin departed this life on Tuesday, 24 April 1883 at Stockbridge Township, Ingham County, Michigan, at age 47 years, 3 months and 18 days of rheumatism of the heart.3 He was buried at Unadilla Township, Livingston County, Michigan, in the Plainfield Village Cemetery.4,5
|Emily Melissa Stocking b. 1838, d. 1927|
- [S440] Helen F. Lewis, Pioneer Families of Southeastern Michigan - Livingston County, page 272 - Townsend, Martin - Son of Samuel (following), was listed in the 1870 census of Unadilla Twp., Livingston Co., Mich. with his wife Melissa, b. ca. 1838, Mich., and Flora b. ca. 1860; twins, Isabella & Adella b. ca. 1862; George M. b. ca. 1864; Edwin b. ca. 1868, in the household.
- [S646] Documentation: Sheet 5, line 16.
- [S396] Death Record: State of Michigan Death Records: Ledger page 303, record no. 2615 - Martin Badgley Townsend d. 24 April 1883 at Stockbridge, married, age 47.3.15, cause: rheumatism of the heart, b. New York, farmer, parents: Samuel Townsend & Corinth Townsend. - (transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy).
- [S399] Genealogical Records Committee of the Livingston Chapter of the Michigan Daughters of the Amerivan Revolution, Recording of Twenty Four Rural Cemeteries of Livingston County, Michigan, page 110 - Plainfield Village Cemetery: Martin B. Townsend 1836-1883.
- [S439] Livingston County Tombstone Inscriptions, page 5 - Plainfield Cemetery: Martin B. Townsend 1836-1883; Emily M. 1838-1927.