George Stedman Torrey
M, b. 20 September 1833, d. 20 November 1911
|Father||Seth Baldwin Torrey b. 18 May 1799, d. 17 Nov 1869|
|Mother||Elizabeth Stedman b. 24 Sep 1804, d. 11 Apr 1895|
George Stedman was born on Friday, 20 September 1833 in Richford Township, Tioga County, New York. George married Abigail D. Smock on 31 October 1867 in Marion Township, Livingston County, Michigan.1 George & Abigail had children: John [8/06/1868-9/12/1942][m. 8/15/1890 Frances Eliza Earl, 2nd. 7/11/1905 Nora Edgerly, 3rd. 6/29/1909 Della Bush & 4th 11/28/1915 Elizabeth Hiscock], Nelson Rhymer [8/28/1870-10/21/1944][m. 2/02/1898 Jesse Florence Bloss], Howard E. [4/06/1874-7/14/1877], Reine May [5/16/1879-6/30/1951][m. 1/18/1907 Jabez K. Osgerby], Neil Baldwin [9/--/1880-1/06/1967], & Eugenia Belle "Genia" [6/29/1885-12/14/1942][m. 11/13/1906 Robert M. Elliott].2,3 24 June 1870, George and his wife, Abigail, were listed on the U.S. Federal Census in Handy Township, Livingston County, Michigan. Enumerated in this household were George Torry [36 New York], Abbe D [27 New York], Jonny [1 Michigan] & Eliza [66 Connecticut].4 George was a Granite Cutter and owned a Marble works in Cadillac in the 1890s. 14 June 1900, George and his wife, Abigail, were listed on the U.S. Federal Census in Cadillac, Wexford County, Michigan, on Court Street. Enumerated in this household were George S. Torrey [69 New York - August 1832], his wife: Addie [59 New York - January 1843], children: Neil [19 Michigan - September 1880], Jerria [14 Michigan -June 1885]. He is a marble supplier. They had been married 33 years with 6 children, 5 living.5 George's wife, Abigail, died on 12 September 1909 in Cadillac at 427 Court leaving him a widower.6 George departed this life on Monday, 20 November 1911 in Cadillac at age 78 years and 2 months.7 He was buried there at Cadillac in Maple Hill Cemetery. After his death, George's two oldest sons, John & Nelson took over his Marble business under the name of Torry Brothers.8
|Abigail D. Smock b. 1 Jan 1843, d. 12 Sep 1909|
- [S1917] Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925: 31 October 1867: Marion Township, Livingston County, Michigan; George Torrey 34 of Handy Township born Richford Township, Tioga County, New York & Abbie W. Smock, 24 of Marion Township born Bath Township, Steuben County, New York, Married by R.C, Crane, ministerof the Gospe; Witnessed by Nelson A. Glenn & Ann E. Glenn. - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N3PS-K5X - www.familysearch.com.
- [S680] 1910 United States Federal Census: 15 April 1910 - Cadillac, Wexford County, Michigan - Nels B. Torrey [39 Michigan], his wife: Jessie F. [41 Michigan], children: Donald [10/12 Michigan] & Francis [10/12 Michigan]. He is a marble ___. They had been married 12 years with 2 children, both living. They live at 420 Cass Street. He is a marble cutter. [3rd Ward, Enumeration District 140, sheet 1b, line 91] - transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy.
- [S679] 1900 United States Federal Census: 18 June 1900 - Cadillac, Wexford County, Michigan - John Torrey [Michigan - ], his wife: Frances [29 Michigan - January 1871], children: Alton [7 Michigan - November 1882], Addie M. Earle [sister-in-law][25 Michigan - February 1875]. They had been married 9 years with 1 child, 1 living. He is a marble manufacture. They are living on Howard Street [3rd Ward, Ennumeration District 119, sheet 26a&b, line 50]
Nelson Torrey [30 Michigan - 1870], his wife: Jessie [30 Michigan - October 1869]. They are living on Cherry Street.h no children. He is a marble cutter. [3rd Ward, Enumeration District 119, sheet 30b, line 93] - transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy.
- [S676] 1870 United States Federal Census: Handy Township, Livingston County, MIchigan - Sheet 17, Line 11. - transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy.
- [S679] 1900 United States Federal Census: Cadilliac, Wexford County, Michigan - 3rd Wardc, Ennumeration District 119, sheet 20b, line 87 - transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy.
- [S514] Death Certificate: Abbie D. Torrey: 12 September 1909, 427 Court, Cadillac, Wexford County, Michigan; Age: 66 years 11 months 8 days, Cause: Cancer of Breast contributary: Senile Gangreen, Parents: R& Abbie Smock, Buried: 14 September 1909, Cadillac, Michigan. - Courtesy of Catherine Clemens.
- [S1916] Michigan Deaths and Burials, 1800-1995: George S. Torrey: Died 21 November 1911 at Cadillac, Wexford County, Michigfan; Age: 78; Born: New York; Parents: Seth B. Forrey & Eliza Studman - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FH5H-X8Q [Note: Transcription Error - Surnames should have been read as Torrey & Stedman - KLM].
- [S506] Note: This information is courtesy of Catherine Clemens quoted from: Source: History of Wexford County, Michigan, compiled by John H. Wheeler, Published 1903 by B.F. Bowen,, Biography page 139-140.