M, b. 12 September 1821, d. 27 January 1865
|Father||William Haight Leggett b. 15 Apr 1789, d. 23 Dec 1863|
|Mother||Margaret Peck Wright b. 16 Jan 1794, d. 16 Apr 1878|
Edward Wright was born on Wednesday, 12 September 1821 in Westchester County, New York, at the family home at 23 Rose. He married Susan Gerardus Post on 25 November 1841 at the home of alderman Woodhull at 24 Beekman Street in the City, County & State of New York. 15 September 1850, Edward and his wife, Susan, were listed on the U.S. Federal Census in North Hempstead Harbor, Queens County, Long Island, New York. Enumerated in this household were Edward W. Leggett [29 New York-gentleman], his wife: Susan P. [29 New York], children: Edward W. [8 New York], Catherine M. [6 New York], Fred A. [4 New York], Julie B. [2 New York], & George L. [3 mos. New York] along with, Jab Lacey [40 Ireland-farmer], Bridget O'Neil [45 Ireland], Catherine Goghurty [25 Ireland], Amelia O'Conner [25 Ireland].4 9 June 1860, Edward and his wife, Susan, were listed on the U.S. Federal Census in the City, County & State of New York. Enumerated in this household were Edward Leggett [39 New York], his wife: Mary [39 New York], children: Edward [20 New York], Catherine [18 New York], Matilda [17 New York], Fred A. [16 New York], Julia [15 New York], Isabella [12 New York], Geo. [10 New York], Francis [8 New York], Allen [7 New York], Susan [5 New York], Ruth [3 New York], & Edgar [1 New York], along with Ann Kune [39 Scotland], Ann Kasne [37 Scotland], Mary Mulley [32 Scotland], Mary Marnery [31 Scotland], Maria King [22 New York], Maria Cost [20 New York], Henry Henderson [29 New York-clerk], Henry Anderson [20 New York-clerk], servants: Jane Coleman [39 New York], Sarah Tompson [33 New York], Ann Kenard [32 New York]. Edward is a merchant.5 Edward departed this life on Friday, 27 January 1865 in the City, County & State of New York.
|Susan Gerardus Post b. 27 Aug 1821, d. 9 Jun 1884|
- [S91] Michigan Daughters of the American Revolution, Old Bible and Other Genealogical Records, Volume 5: page 102; Volume 3: page 39.
- [S349] Roeser, & Storck Ferriss, Petition & Order To Show Cause In The Matter Of The Application For The Appointment Of A Trustee To Execute The Power Of Sale Remaining Unexecuted Conferred By The Last Will & Testament Of Thomas Leggett, Deceased, FIFTH: A son, EDWARD W. LEGGETT, who died intestate January 27th, 1865, leaving him surviving eight children, to wit:
A son, Edward W. Leggett, who died intestate and without issue on the 27th day of December 1906 and is survived by his widow, Margaret W. Leggett, who resides at Number 100 West 44th Street, in the Borough of Manhattan, City and County of New York.
A daughter, Catherine M. White, who died August 7th, 1894, leaving a last will and testament, which was duly admitted to probate in the Surrogate's Court of Union County, State of New Jersey, on the 24th day of September, 1904, and under the terms of which said will she devised all her property to her two children, Isabel Wilmarth White, who resides at 18 Sidney Place, Brooklyn, City of New York, and Susan Bertha Shirley, who resides at Honesdale, State of Pennsylvania, and who are her only children and heirs at law.
A son, Frederick A. Leggett, who is married to Kate S. Leggett, and who both reside at Number 411 Third Avenue, Asbury Park, State of New Jersey.
A son, Charles P. Leggett, who died on the 21st day of February, 1894, leaving a last will and testament, which was admitted to probate in the Surrogate's Court of Union County, State of New Jersey, and which, by an order of the Surrogate's Court of New York County, was recorded in the office of the said Surrogate of New York County on April 30th, 1894, in Liber 519 of Wills, page 316, under the terms of which said will the said Charles P. Leggett devised all his property, real and personal, to his wife, Anna E. Leggett, who survived him and who resides at Madison Avenue, Plainfield, State of New Jersey; the only surviving children and heirs at law of the said Charles P. Leggett are Charles B. Leggett unmarried and Margaret V. Leggett, who is a minor eighteen years of age, and both of whom reside with their mother, Anna E. Leggett.
A son, Lester Leggett, who resides at No. 508 Seventh Avenue, Asbury Park, New Jersey, and whose wife's name is Alice Leggett, residing at the same place.
A daughter, Susan B. Martin, wife of Frederick H. Martin, who resides at Number 168 Grove Street, North Plainfield, New Jersey.
A daughter, Julia B. Robinson, who died July 8th, 1867, intestate, unmarried and without issue; and
A son, George F. Leggett, who died January 12th, 1874, intestate, unmarried and without issue.
- [S106] Howland Delano Perrine, The Wright Family of Oysterbay, L.I. with the ancestry of and descent from Peter Wright and Nicholas Wright, 1423-1923, page 169 - Edward Wright, b. Sept. 12, 1821; d. Jany. 15, 1865; in. Susan (Gerardus) Post, of N. Y. City, Nov. 23, 1841; b. Aug. 27, 1821; d. June 9, 1884. Issue : Edward Wright, b. Sept. 30. 1842, m. Margaret Stafford Worth, of Edgartown, Mass., June 23, 1874, b. Aug. 22, 1847, no issue; Catharine Maria, b. June 9, 1844, in. William E. White, of Albany, N. Y., Mch. 1, 1868, b. Jany. 23, 1840; Frederick Augustus, b. Nov. 5, 1845, d. Aug. 3, 1920, m. Kate Shepherd, of New Haven, Conn., Mch. 5, 1873, 1). June 12, 1846 ; Julia Bryant. b. Oct. 17, 1848, d. July 8, 1867, m. Augustus Robinson, May 22, 1867, no issue; George Fox, b. June 15. 1850, d. Jany. 12, 1874, s. p. ; Herbert, b. Mch. 4. 1852, d. Feby. 22, 1853 ; Allen, b. Nov. 17, 1853. d. Jany. 12, 1869; Susan Bertha, b. Nov. 14, 1856, m. Frederick H. Martin, of New Bruns-wick, N. J.. July 6, 1877. b. Jany. 17, 1854; Charles Place, b. May 3. 1860, d. Feby. 21. 1894, m. Anna Elizabeth Van Winkle, of Plainfield. N. J., July 22, 1884, b. Oct. 13, 1861 ; Lester Gerard, Rev., b. May 17, 1861, m. Edythe Wood Beach, of Irvington-on-Hudson, Oct. 2, 1915, b. Aug. 8. 1879, no issue.
- [S674] 1850 United States Federal Census: Queens County, New York - Sheet 3, line 1 - transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy.
- [S674] 1850 United States Federal Census: City, County & State of New York - 21st Ward, 3rd District, sheet 67, line 12, - Note: thery appears that there was confusion over some names & that there is a repetition of persons - klm - transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy.