M, b. circa 6 February 1633
Jean was born in Dieppe, Seine-Maritime, Normandy, France, at the parish of St-Jacques. He was christened there on 6 February 1633 in St-Jacques Church.1 Jean was among those that were recruited to immigrate from Normandy, France to Ville-Marie,l in 1653 when the settlement was being established and populated. His brother Andre had immigrated to Ville-Marie earlier in 1651.2 Jean married Jeanne Vedie on 9 November 1654 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, at the Basilica of Notre Dame.3 1667, Jean and Jeanne were listed on the Canadian Census in Comte-de-Levis, Quebec, Canada. Enumerated in this household were Jean Dumestz [40 years], Jeanne Voidy [30 years], Francois [9 years], Marguerite [8 years], Jean [6 years], Pierre [4 years], Anne [2 years] & Rene [2 months].4 1681, Jean and Jeanne were listed on the Canadian Census. Enumerated in this household were Jean Dumets [50 years], Jeanne Voidy [43 years], Francois [25 years], Jean [20 years], Pierre [18 years], Anne [16 years], Rene [14 years], Madeleine [12 years], Andre [10 years], Eustache [9 years], Catherine [6 years], Nicolas [4 years] & Jean [1 month].5 Jean departed this life on Tuesday, 3 July 1708 in ville de Quebec, Quebec, Canada. He was buried there in the cemetery of Notre Dame on Thursday, 5 July 1708.6
|Jeanne Vedie b. c 1637, d. 1 Dec 1708|
- [S1598] Research Program In Historical Demography: Individual Certificate Number 10191.
- [S1565] Roland J. Auger, La Grande Recrue de 1653, page 27.
- [S1596] Drouin Institute: Marriage: 9 November 1654 - Jean DuMet, son of Jeanis DuMet & Barbe Manger, of the parish of St-Jacques, Dieppe and Jeanne Vedie, daughter of Michel Vedie & Catherine Dorbelle of the parish of St-Germain, at the Basilique of Notre Dame, Montreal. - www.genealogiequebec.com.
- [S1598] Research Program In Historical Demography: Census Certificate Number 96325.
- [S1598] Research Program In Historical Demography: Census Certificate Number 97530.
- [S1596] Drouin Institute: Burial: 5 July 1708 - Jean Dumets, died the day before yesterday at around the age of 86 years; at Notre Dame de Quebec. - www.genealogiequebec.com.