Margaret Peck Wright1
F, b. 16 January 1794, d. 16 April 1878
|Father||Augustus Wright b. 8 May 1765, d. 28 Mar 1819|
|Mother||Katharine Uyt ten Bogaert [second] b. 21 Mar 1770, d. 2 May 1806|
2 Margaret Peck married William Haight Leggett, son of Thomas Leggett Jr. and Mary Haight, on 28 December 1814 at the Brick Presbyterian Church in the City, County & State of New York. They were married by Rev. Mr. Spring.3 She and William were blessed with 11 children. Margaret Peck Wright and William Haight Leggett lived at 307 Pearl Street in the City, County & State of New York. Margaret Peck Wright and William Haight Leggett lived at Rose Bank, Morrissania, West Farms, Westchester County, New York. Morrisianna consisted of 250 morgan obtained originally by Capt. Richard Morris from the indians. Capt. Morris came to Westchester in 1674 from Barbados. Most of her life, she suffered with ill health until she was about fifty years old. It was about that time she became quite stout and her health problems disappeared. 29 October 1850, Margaret and her husband, William, were listed on the U.S. Federal Census in West Farms, Westchester County, New York. Enumerated in this household were William H. Leggett [61 New York], his wife: Margaret W. [56 New York], William L. Allen [33 New York - lawyer], his wife Catherine M. Allen [32 New York], Margaret L. Allen [9 New York], Sarah Allen [4 New York], John W. [23 New York], George F. [21 New York], Francis W. [16 New York], servants: Maria McCullogh [21 Ireland], Alice Galghar [51 Ireland], Alice Macaulff [28 Ireland], James Riley [16 Ireland- coachman], James Riley [52 Ireland - laborer] & Bridget Leary [36 Ireland]. His real estate value was $80,000.4 18 June 1860, Margaret and her husband William were listed on the U.S. Federal Census in the City, County & State of New York. Enumerated in this household were William H. Leggett [70 New York], his wife: Margaret [64 New York], son, George F. [30 New York-clerk], George's wife: Charlotte M. [25 New York], Phebe Leggett [35 New York], Mary Nelson [16 New York], Sarah Leggett [6 New York], & domestics: Ann Meridan [30 Ireland], Mary O'Neill [30 Ireland], & Mary McCullough [25 Ireland]. Value of property $5,000 for William & $500.00 for George F.5,6 Margaret's husband, William, died on 23 December 1863 in his home at no. 9 East 16th Street in the City, County & State of New York, leaving her a widow. Margaret died on Tuesday, 16 April 1878 in Elizabeth Town, Union County, New Jersey, at the home of her son, Thomas apparently from old age. A telegraph was received by her son, Augustus from his brother Samuel - "Elizabeth, New Jersey - Apr. 16, 1878 2:15 pm to Aug W. Leggett 169 East Elizabeth Street - Mother died at noon - Funeral from New York Friday - Samuel M. Leggett." At the bottom of this telegraph is written this tells of the death of Margaret Wright Leggett, wife of William H. Leggett. Margaret was laid to rest in the Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, Westchester County, New York, alongside her husband.
|William Haight Leggett b. 15 Apr 1789, d. 23 Dec 1863|
- [S106] Howland Delano Perrine, The Wright Family of Oysterbay, L.I. with the ancestry of and descent from Peter Wright and Nicholas Wright, 1423-1923, page 168 - no. 530 - Margaret Pick [1/16/1794-4/16/1878] m. 12/28/1814 William Haight Leggett, of Westchester Co., NY [4/15/1789-12/23/1863] - issue: Augustus Wright [6/11/1816-1/12/1884] m. 11/23/1836 Eliza [5/09/1815-2/--/1900], d/o Dr. Valentine & Anna [Ferris] Seaman of NYC; Catharine Maria [11/19/1817-11/26/1890] m. 10/02/1838 William M. Allen [11/25/1814-12/14/1878], s/o Hon. Stephen Allen of NYC; Samuel Mott , MD [3/28/1820-7/24/1883] m. 1st 1844 Julia Coles [ -11/04/1850] of NYC, m. 2nd 12/23/1852 Deborah Williams [1829-5/26/1871], d/o Dr. James L & Catharine[Vanderpool] Phelps of NYC, m. 3rd 3/19/1874 Lucy A. Cowes [10/20/1836- ] [relict of A. Britton]; Edward Wright [9/12/1821- 1/15/1865] m. 11/23/1841 Susan Gerardus [Post] [8/27/1821-6/09/1884]; Thomas Bogart [5/27/1823-4/01/1895]] m. 2/17/1845 Maria Huggins [8/01/1826-2/13/1902] of New Haven, CT; John Wright [1/05/1826-12/24/1887] m. 4/08/1851 Elizabeth Huggins [4/12/1826-3/13/1903] of New Haven, CT; William Haight [10/02/1827-6/08/1829]; George Fox [1/14/1829-9/01/1887] m. 12/13/1852 Charlotte Leggett Macy [9/06/1833->1923]; William Haight 2nd [7/14/1831-8/06/1832]; Francis William [7/29/1833-2/11/1907] m. 3/24/1864 Laura Acker [5/01/1843-3/20/1899] of Kalamazoo, MI; Edgar 1835- - sp.
- [S899] Eliza Seaman Leggett, Autobiography of Eliza Seaman Leggett
, name "Peck' after Margaret's mother's friend, not relative.
- [S516] Gertrude A. Barber, Marriages Taken From the New York Evening Post, Wed Rev. Mr. Spring William H. Leggett Margaret Wright dau. Augustus all of this city [New York Evening Post - 30 December 1814].
- [S684] 1950 United States Federal Census: West Farms Town, Westchester County, New York - Sheet 607, line 39 - transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy.
- [S675] 1860 United States Federal Census: City, County & State of New York - 18th Ward, Enum. Dist. 2 - transcribed by Larry & Kathy McCurdy.
- [S506] Note: Leggett Household Members: neice: Mary Nelson, daughter of Henry Augustus Nelson & Catherne Agusta Wright, [4 Feb. 1844- ][m. 12 Jan. 1869 Francis Hussey Macy, Jr.]; Phebe Leggett - daughter of Martha & sister of Josephine [m. Thomas Wright].