M, d. 3 June 1488
|Father||Sir Hugh de Peshall d. 1487|
Humphrey was born in Staffordshire, England. Humphrey married Helena Swinnerton, daughter of Humphrey de Swinnerton and Anna de Swinnerton, circa 1484 in England. Humphrey's whole adult life was spent in the turmoil of the War of the Roses, except for the last four years. The political differences between the branches of this family, that is the Horsley & Ranton branches [Lancaster] & the Kinlet branch [York], became so deep that the Horsley family began to use the spelling "Pershall" retaining the silent "h" so peculiar to the Cockney English. Humphrey departed this life on Sunday, 3 June 1488 in Chekeley, Staffordshire, England.
- [S103] Clarence E. Pearsall, History of the Pearsall Family, Volume II: Chapter 23 Humphrey Peshall, section 1, page 808.
- [S911] The History, Gazatteer and Directory of the County of Derby
, page 52 - Three-fourths of the Old hall manor was conveyed by Ralph de Reresby in 1337, and one-fourth, which had belonged to the Musters, to Roger, son of Robert de Wynfield, of Eillestow hall. This manor passed by marriage to Robert Plumley, who dying without issue, it became the property of James RoUeston, of Lea, whose great grandfather had married a daughter of Roger de Wynfield. The manors of Ashover and Lea, belonging to the Rollcstons, passed by marriage, in the reign of queen Elizabeth, to the Pershalls, of Ilorsley, in Staffordshire. In 161ß Sir John Pershall, bart. sold them to Richard Hodgkinson, and Giles Cowley. Reresby manor was resold by them, and became the property of the Bournes, the Marchioness of Ormond as representative of the Clarkes, and the late Sir Joseph Banks through the Hodgkinsons. Edlestow hall was purchased, in 1808, by Mr. John Milnes, of the widow of the Rev. John Bourne, of Spital, who obtained it through the Gladwins. The Perpoynts' share of the original estate became the property of the Babingtons, of Dethicfc, who sold it to Sir Thomas Reresby, and it passed with his other estates in Ashover, by sale : viz. three sevenths to the late Sir Joseph Banks, now the property of William Milnes, esq. one-seventh to the Duke of Devonshire, one-seventh to Sir Henry Hunloke, bart. one-seventh to the representatives of the late John Woodyeare, esq. of Crookhill, and the remaining seventh in severalties. The hall is the property of Samuel Button, of Chesterfield, esq. and it is tenanted by a farmer.
- [S914] C. R. J. & Greenslade, M. W. Currie, A History of the County of Stafford, Volume VII: pages 8-27 -.