William Nickerson III1
M, b. 1 June 1646, d. before 7 April 1719
|Father||William Nickerson II b. 1604, d. bt 30 Aug 1689 - 8 Sep 1690|
|Mother||Anne Busby b. b 2 Feb 1607/8, d. a 18 May 1686|
William was born on Friday, 1 June 1646 in Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. William married Mercy Williams, daughter of Thomas Williams and Elizabeth Tart, on 30 November 1668 in Chatham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. William and his family lived at Momomoit until he purchased land at what is now Old Harbor, and built a house there for his family. He took the oath of freeman there in 1690 and served in King Phillip's War. He was quite active in the affairs of the town and held several offices. William departed this life before 7 April 1719 in Sandwich, Cape Cod. His will was probated on 7 April 1719 at Chatham, Barnstable County, Massachusetts.
|Mercy Williams b. 1647, d. 7 Feb 1738/39|
- [S290] Nickerson Family Association, The Nickerson Family, page 22 - Before 1677, William owned a parcel of land east of Great Hill, Monomoit & another southwest of the head Ryder's Cove where he probably lived. In 1689, he purchaased land at Cotchpinicut where he built a house and resided for some time. He took the Oath of Freeman in 1690 and was a soldier in King Philip's War. As an active participant in village affairs, he served as grandjuryman, constable, inspector of wales, selectman, and was the first village treasurer & clerk. It is noted that he did not record his own family, and but few others.
- History of Chatham, Massachusetts - by William C. Smith, 1917.
- -Yarmouth, Massachusetts, Vital Records
- William Emery Nickerson papers at NEHGS
- Barnstable County, Massachusetts, Probate records - Volume 3
- Mayflower Descendant - volumes 9, 31
- Josiah Paine papers at NEHGS
- Eastham, Massachusetts Vital Records