M, d. 1233
|Father||Mr. de Sandford|
Hugh de was born. Hugh was originally granted land from William Marshall in the parish of Wittensham along with his brother Richard. Richard went to the crusades as a knight templer giving to his brothr Robert his share in his absence. Richard dies, most likely during the crusade, and his portion is eventually in the control of Hugh. Having no sons, his estates are succeeded to his daughters, Christian/Christine and Agnes. Hugh married Joan de Noers, daughter of Hugh de Noers. Hugh departed this life in 1233.
|Joan de Noers d. 1252|
- [S936] British History Online - Victoria County History: Victoria County History, A History of the County of Berkshire: Volume 4,
William Page and P.H. Ditchfield (eds),1924 - Pages 384-390 -
William Marshal granted Wittenham to Hugh de Sandford and Richard his brother and Ralph de St. Helen to hold for the service of one knight's fee. . . . Richard de Sandford, to whom a third of West Wittenham had been granted as stated above, went on a crusade as a Knight Templar, granting his part of the manor during his absence to his brother Robert. Richard died childless, and his nephew Robert son of Robert seems to have taken possession of this share, which was, however, claimed in 1222 by Hugh de Sandford, grantee of the other third. Hugh claimed as heir of Richard, as his elder brother Thomas and Warin, Thomas's son, had surrendered their title to him. An agreement was made that Robert should hold this land of Hugh and his heirs for the service of 60s. and a rent of 10s. to Littlemore Priory. Hugh thus obtained the overlordship of one-third as well as the tenancy of one-third, and his heirs were returned in 1295 as holding two-thirds of a fee.
Hugh de Sandford of Hook Norton (Oxon.), died about 1233 leaving daughters and co-heirs, Christine widow of William de Sideham and Agnes, and his two-thirds of the knight's fee and manor, or part of the estate, for some centuries descended in two parts. Christine afterwards married John de Plessis (afterwards Earl of Warwick, in right of his second wife), and Agnes, her younger sister, receiving licence in 1234 to marry whom she would, married Matthew Hussey of Harting and Pulborough, Sussex. John de Plessis and Matthew Hussey shared this estate about 1240. - www.british-history.ac.uk.
- [S936] British History Online - Victoria County History: Victoria County History, A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 2,
William Page (editor), 1908, Pages 347-353 - The sub-tenant of Great Missenden in 1086 was Turstin, son of Rolf, (fn. 13) of whose descendants nothing is known. The manor seems to have been granted early in the 12th century to William de Missenden, who founded the abbey of Missenden in 1133. (fn. 14) He had a son Hugh, who took the surname of de Noers, which had perhaps been assumed by his father also. (fn. 15) Hugh de Noers became lord of the manor before 1141 (fn. 16) and was still living in 1166, (fn. 17) but was succeeded soon after by his son William de Noers, (fn. 18) who died before 1185, for in that year his son William was a minor in the custody of Henry de Pinkeni. (fn. 19) William de Noers the younger died, however, about 1189, and his lands passed to his brother Hugh, (fn. 20) whose daughter and heir Joan married Hugh de Sanford, (fn. 21) and was holding Missenden together with her husband in 1233. (fn. 22) Hugh seems to have died in 1233 or 1234, (fn. 23) and Joan about 1252. She left two daughters, Christiana, who married first William de Sideham, (fn. 24) and secondly John de Plessy, afterwards Earl of Warwick, (fn. 25) and Agnes, the wife of Matthew Husee. (fn. 26) The manor of Great Missenden was divided between these two heiresses, the moieties being known at a later date as Overbury and Netherbury. - www.british-history.ac.uk.